BIG STEP Construction Apprenticeship Readiness Instructor/Tutor
Position Summary: The BIG STEP Program was established to connect individuals with employment and career opportunities in the skilled trades. BIG STEP is the major assistance program that was designed to help interested candidates upgrade their skills in math, reading, sentence skills, mechanical and spatial aptitude, and other academic areas required to pass the necessary apprenticeship tests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instructors are responsible for tutoring viable candidates interested in entering construction trade apprenticeships and post-apprentices in the areas of reading comprehension, sentence skills, arithmetic, algebra, and mechanical and spatial relations.
- Instructors must have the ability to multitask, work independently, and maintain a level of professionalism and confidentiality at all times.
- Tutoring hours may vary and are Monday-Friday, with occasional Saturdays. Flexible hours are available, with exact times to be determined.
- Understand and communicate programs, enrollment and eligibility process.
- Very strong communication skills including working with a diverse clientele.
- Maintain confidentiality of all agency files/records, business lists, and contractual agreements.
- Other duties as assigned
- This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. WRTP/BIG STEP reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
- Associates Degree from Technical/Junior College or at least 2 years university course work required.
- Bachelor’s degree or Building Trades Journeyman experience ideal.
- Previous teaching/tutoring or education fieldwork with Adult Based Education programs experience preferred.
- Bilingual instructor is a plus.
- Must provide transcripts from college.
- Must take and pass in-house test.
- Organizational skills and ability to multi task is required.
- Ability to create legibly written and accurately maintained program folders for participants including collecting personal data.
- This position requires the ability to regularly sit and write at a computer, stand and lift less than 20 pounds to stock office supplies, frequently move from room to room to accommodate guests, use a telephone and use computer equipment to generate input and output and transmit data.
- This position requires a 90-day probationary period.
Start Date: IMMEDIATE
Pay Range: $10-$15 per/hr based on experience
Position Description: Non-Exempt, Not Represented
Hours: Part time, Up to 25 hours/week, Hours varies and may include evening and Saturday hours